Be sure to check out my new blog “The Second Coming of Christ” for an in depth look at prophecies related to the Second Coming and discussions about getting spiritually and physically prepared.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Karma?

Do we believe in Karma? I will use the dictionary.com definition of a Hinduism, Buddhism. action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation. For the sake of argument, let us ignore the reincarnation portion of it. Also I am not looking for an official church stance on this issue, but rather just thoughts.

To give a history of why I am asking this, let me tell a story. Yesterday as I walked out from work, I noticed my supervisors car was sitting a little low on one side. I walked by and noticed that he had a flat tire. I personally have nothing against this supervisor and fell he does his job well. I felt bad for the guy, but he was in a meeting so I couldn’t inform him about his misfortune. I would have gladly helped fix the flat if I could have. I don’t consider myself a kiss up or anything, just it would suck to have to change a tire by yourself. Although I will admit that I did get a laugh at the fact that my supervisor had a flat.

So as I was driving home 20 minutes later, my tire gets a hole and I get a flat tire. I get the spare tire on and go get it fixed, no problem. Was this Karma for laughing at my supervisor?

1 comment:

Robby C said...

Here are some interesting quotes from a wikipedia article on Karma:

> Karma is the concept of "action" or "deed" in Indian religions understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect.

>The philosophical explanation of karma can differ slightly between traditions, but the general concept is basically the same. Through the law of karma, the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others.

>Karma means "deed" or "act" and more broadly names the universal principle of cause and effect, action and reaction that governs all life. Karma is not fate, for humans act with free will creating their own destiny. If we sow goodness, we will reap goodness; if we sow evil, we will reap evil.

I think this idea of karma is fairly consistent with lds views on agency and what we call in the church the law of the harvest.